[ubuntu-cloud] S3 Beta mirrors (hashsum/size mismatches)

Ben Howard ben.howard at canonical.com
Wed Mar 7 23:32:55 UTC 2012

All,

I would like thank those who have taken the time to kick the tires on
the S3 EC2 mirrors. So far the tooling we've built around updating the
S3 mirrors has proven solid.

However, we are still a way off from moving them into production due an
issue between apt and S3 (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/948461 ). What is
happening is that the contents of one file is ending under another
file's name; i.e. Package-A.deb has Package-B.deb's contents. This issue
manifests itself in the following ways:

- Hashsum Mismatch: These errors are typically seen on the meta-data
       after an "apt-get update". In examining the meta-data that was
       downloaded from several hosts, it was determined that the cause
       was really misnamed files.
- Size Mismatch: These errors are typically seen on deb files that have
       been downloaded. An examination of these show that they were really
       misnamed files.

A second issue rare issue has been observed, which is a 416 error. These
errors are believed to be caused by the same bug.

The work around for the time being, is to disable apt http pipelining,
via '-o Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth=0' on the command line or by
dropping 'Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth "0";' into a in a configuration
file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d.

As always, your feedback on these mirrors is appreciated. Our ultimate
goal is to build more reliable mirrors, so any feedback that you can
provide will help us towards that goal.

Thanks,
Ben

--