[ubuntu-cloud] DRBD Kernel Module?

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 15 00:34:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Adroit Technologies wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 17:06 -0500, Scott Moser wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Thomas Oatess wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Paul ...
> > >
> > > This is precisely the guide I used to install DRBD.  While attempting to
> > > start the process,  it failed with DRBD module not loaded.  I tried to
> > > modprobe drbd.  Didn't work.  Doesn't exist in the virtual image.
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-virtual
> > $ sudo depmod -a
> > $ sudo modprobe drbd
> >
> > This '-extra' package is only available in oneiric and beyond, but its
> > basically the rest of the modules that did not make the -virtual kernel.
> >
> > I opened bug 890447 (http://pad.lv/890447) as you should not have to run
> > depmod.
> >

> When you mention the -extra is only available for oneiric and newer
> versions, what is the method to gain these modules in older versions
> than oneiric?

for 10.10 and 11.04, the -server kernel *may* provide you with what you
need. The -virtual first began as just the -server kernel with a subset of
modules, but then moved a bit away.  I think they both install into the
same /lib/modules directory, and the drdb module might "just work".

Other than that, you'll have to basically re-build the kernel from the
-virtual config, but enable the drdb module.  Might be some other way of
doing that also.  The -extra package is a nice feature add for -virtual.