[ubuntu-cloud] Issue re: SSH keys on EC2

Johnson, Chris M (Dublin) Chris.Johnson at Fiserv.com
Mon Aug 29 16:40:07 UTC 2011

Thank you, that worked.  Amateur error on my part.  I thought “ec2-user” was used for all AMIs.

From: Ben Howard [mailto:ben.howard at canonical.com]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 12:21 PM
To: Johnson, Chris M (Dublin)
Cc: ubuntu-cloud at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-cloud] Issue re: SSH keys on EC2

Hi Chris,

Are you logging in as "ubuntu" as the user? Also, can you send the debug output (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/Chapter4.html ).

Thanks,
Ben

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 12:14 -0400, Johnson, Chris M (Dublin) wrote:
I’m experiencing a strange result in using an Ubuntu AMI on EC2 that doesn’t occur when using an Amazon Linux AMI.  Your thoughts would be appreciated!

When I create a new instance of ebs/ubuntu-images/ubuntu-natty-11.04-amd64-server-20110426 (ami-1aad5273), I pick an existing keypair.  When the new instance starts up and I attempt to connect (using Putty), I get an error saying “Server refused our key”.  When I read the server log, I can see new RSA and DSA keys are being generated.  It appears the instance isn’t using my existing key pair.

However if I spin up a new instance of the Amazon Linux AMI and follow the exact same procedure, I am able to connect using the existing key pair.

Is there a difference between how SSH credentials are managed for Ubuntu and Amazon AMI’s?  Or maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Regards

-- Chris

--

Ben Howard