[ubuntu-cloud] deboostrapped lucid image from maverick fails on ec2 (with and without AKI/custom kernel)

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 22 16:15:31 GMT 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Spike Spiegel wrote:

> Hey,
>
> finally some real progress.
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Spike Spiegel <fsmlab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > that's all. in the meantime I'm gonna try to get one of those images,
> > strip it out of stuff and then rebundle it and see what happens if I
> > pick an amazon AKI.
>
> this worked (can ssh in and all) and answered some of the questions
> above. I've downloaded the lucid uec tar.gz, chrooted and customized
> it to my likings, including removing all the kernels to reduce the
> size as much as possible while growing the img size to use the whole
> 10GB root of a small ec2 instance (otherwise you only get the 1.5 the
> img is created as). As an AKI I've actually used the one reported
> here[1] (aki-6603f70f). I used the default ramdisk ARI, altho I'd very
> much like to understand what that implies since that image is not
> supposed to use a ramdisk afaik and I'm not sure which ones do and why
> and how you'd pick an ARI if needed. Anyway, I'm a step closer.
>
> Next I'll try to rebuilt the whole thing with vmbuilder, especially
> since the current lucid kernel does not seem to have bridging support
> available which I need for lxc, so guess I'll have to work out the
> pv-grub stuff after all and run my own kernel.

I just realized, if you removed the kernels with dpkg ('dpkg -r
linux-image-$(uname -r)'), then you removed the modules as well as the
kernel.  If you removed the modules, then you lost a lot of stuff.

Make sure that isnt why you don't think you have bridging support.

$ uname -r
2.6.35-22-virtual
$ grep BRIDGE /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=y