[ubuntu-cloud] newbie

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Mon Mar 15 14:16:01 GMT 2010

Wayne Roberts wrote:
> Hi all, has anybody had any luck in getting windows to run on uec?
> If so how?

Hi Wayne,

You sent the above email directly to me, but I think you might have
meant to send it to the list.  Since it is of general interest, I am
CC'ing the list.

Running Windows on UEC is not supported.  In fact, Windows instances are
not supported by upstream Eucalyptus.

That being said, I was able to make it run on UEC 9.04 (jaunty) a few
months ago, with the help of the following blog post:

http://ajmf.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/running-windows-on-eucalyptus-improved/

It would not work reliably for me (sometime, the instance would just
fail to start), and it is mostly untested, so I do not consider the
procedure to be production-ready.  Moreover, I never tested it on UEC
9.10 or 10.04, so I do not know how well it work on Eucalyptus 1.6 (or
if it works at all for that matter).  But if you feel like
experimenting, be my guest and report your finding!  :)

Cheers,

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

  ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~