[ubuntu-cloud] Call for testing: Lucid EBS Root Images

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 5 18:28:50 GMT 2010

Hello all,
   I've been working on creating EBS root images on ec2 [1].  These are
being populated with an identical filesystem to our existing UEC images.
The tools [2] copy the published filesystem images from [3] to a EBS
volume, snapshot that,  and then register it.

   I'd love for anyone to give these images a whirl and see what falls on
the floor.  Without further ado, the following are registered using the
latest daily lucid build (20100305):

us-east-1 i386  ami-8bec03e2
us-east-1 amd64 ami-99ec03f0
eu-west-1 i386  ami-85b49ff1
eu-west-1 amd64 ami-87b49ff3
us-west-1 i386  ami-0971204c
us-west-1 amd64 ami-15712050

   Thanks in advance for any testing you can offer.  I've not done much
more than sniff initial boot, and rely on [4] for the general procedure.

   I'm aware of one bug in these images that blocks reboot.  Its now fixed
in cloud-init's trunk and I'll get a package for it soon.  The fix is to
run the following before reboot:
   sudo sed -i 's,^ephemeral0,#ephemeral0,' /etc/fstab

--
[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-ec2-ebsroot
[2] https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-on-ec2/ubuntu-on-ec2/ec2-publishing-scripts