[ubuntu-cloud] /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg user configuration

Abel Ureta-Vidal abel at eaglegenomics.com
Sat Jul 10 18:16:15 BST 2010

On 9 Jul 2010, at 21:35, Eric Hammond wrote:

> Abel:

Hi Eric,

> Though Alestic.com (me) did publish Ubuntu 8.04 AMIs, I did not
> publish
> the Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid AMIs.  These are provided by Canonical and I
> recommend their use.

Thanks for the clarification on this. Indeed I used the ami-2d4aa444
that is
referenced on your site, and that is also the Ubuntu official image
built by
Canonical.

> If you're building your own private AMI, you are free to hardcode
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys for various users so that you can ssh in with
> your own keys.  You aren't required to use EC2's key setup, though it
> can be handy if you want different instances to be accessible using
> different keys.

Indeed.

> If you require the dynamic installation of keys and cloud-init does
> not
> support multiple users,

That's the information I wanted. :)

> you could create a startup job that copies the keys from one account
> to another or downloads them from EC2's instance meta-data (just like
> cloud-init does).

Yes, I want the dynamic installation of keys. A startup shell script
is exactly what
I had in my previous AMI based on Ubuntu 8.04. I could still use this.
I was just
looking into cloud-init features to see if my startup script had
become superfluous.
Maybe not yet.

Thanks,

Abel

> --
> Eric Hammond
>
> On 07/09/2010 05:45 AM, Abel Ureta-Vidal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm moving from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS. I'm using the
>> alestic.com
>> 32bits image.
>> I discovered the new cloud-init package. It is really great to help
>> configure our in house
>> image. Great work!
>>
>> Now I'm upgrading our image. We have set up a specific user i.e.
>> 'ensembl' that we use to
>> ssh in, so I wanted this user to get the EC2 credentials by
>> updating its
>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
>>
>> I found that by changing in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg
>>
>> user: ubuntu

>> user: ensembl
>>
>> it makes the trick, but I'd like to keep the ability to ssh as ubuntu
>> user. I tried different syntax to include
>> both users
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> user:
>> - ensembl
>> - ubuntu
>>
>> or
>>
>> user: ubuntu,ensembl
>>
>> but neither worked. Is it even possible to configure multiple user
>> access directly in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg?
>>
>> Thanks for any hint you can provide.
>>
>> Abel
>> *__*
>> *Abel Ureta-Vidal, PhD MBA*