[ubuntu-cloud] RFC: ec2 ebs root volumes plan

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 12 02:01:33 GMT 2010

Hi all,
   We've had many inquiries on whether/when there will be official ubuntu
AMIs on ec2 with EBS root.  It is something that we're investigating for
the lucid (10.04) cycle.
   I've started a launchpad blueprint [1] and spec [2].  There isn't much
information there, but I'd like to get feedback on features or behavior
that people would expect.
   The run-on sentence summary is that we hope to use largely the same process
that Eric has outlined at [3], and utilize the same image as we already
produce for local-instance store images.
   If you have things you'd like to see, or insight to issues that we
might come upon, please respond.  If you'd just like to track status,
subscribe yourself to the blueprint and/or wiki page.

[1] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-ec2-ebsroot
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerLucidEc2EBSRoot
[3] http://alestic.com/2010/01/ec2-ebs-boot-ubuntu