[ubuntu-cloud] VT Extensions needed?

Alex McLintock alex.mclintock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:53:19 BST 2010

I see that there is a minimum spec for UEC which I can read at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/SystemRequirements

I'm throwing together a play UEC system with machines I have lying
around the house. Two are fairly old Xeon based machines - dual cpu, 2
cores per CPU. The aim is that this could run 8 small virtual machines
- one per core. I also have several single core 1Gb machines which
could run single VMs. I believe this is possible with KVM though I am
no expert. However the system requirements says that for the node
controllers VT extensions *are* needed.

Is this true. Should I abandon all hope of installing UEC on anything
without VT extensions?

I also note that it doesn't say this for the cluster controller.
Presumably the cluster controller doesn't need VT extensions because
it doesn't run any VMs... By default it is NOT a node controller.
right?

Cheers

Alex