[ubuntu-cloud] RFC: EC2 / UEC Image updates

Joe Williams joe at joetify.com
Thu Sep 10 20:00:14 BST 2009

Scott,

I think this all sounds pretty good. I think the sticking points are
when to update AMIs and notification of updated AMI's. You are on the
right track regarding creating a metric for which updates are needed.
Total update time seems like a reasonable one to me, or perhaps some
sort of combined metric of total package size, total update time and
the number of packages updated. Keeping updates fast but not creating a
new AMI for each update is the balance here I suppose.

Regarding notifications of updates, having a notification in the MOTD at
boot would be pretty nice as mentioned in the bug ticket. The downsides
that Eric Hammond mentioned are also legitimate. Personally for me
checking http://alestic.com/ every few weeks does the trick but some
sort of notification would be deluxe.

-Joe

--