[ubuntu-cloud] can ubuntu 9.04 desktop edition install eucalyptus?

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:58:01 BST 2009

Hi Dave,

2009/6/29 Dave Walker <DaveWalker at ubuntu.com>:
> Yes, this is entirely possible.  However it's generally not recommended
> as it's considered a waste of resources.  One thing that would really
> interest me, is why you would want to do this;

I can imagine two things:

* "Just for testing" - not having a dedicated machine to play with,
people might want to use their desktop system as a node
* Not-Shell-accustomed people might want to use some graphical tools,
even to manage their production servers - e.g., in the Windows world
it's completely normal that admins click their way around to set up
servers - and the success of Ubuntu must lead to the situation that
these admins come over to Ubuntu.

While the first situation is perfectly acceptable( even though I have
many test systems, I have some on which I test Deskop and sercver
stuff at the same time),  I'd highly recommend against the second
option, because it's probably a sign that the person wanting to do
this is really in need of some more education about Linux management
before playing with production systems, and look for a better solution
than installing the full set of ubuntu-desktop package and it's
dependencies.
For example, there exist graphical management tools, but they are
mostly web-based, sometimes even the web interface isn't on the
managed system but on a central server.

Henning