[ubuntu-cloud] A Basic Eucalyptus Network

Chase Adams chase at curvedinfinity.com
Thu Jun 18 18:17:16 BST 2009

Neil Soman wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply Neil,
>>
>> So if I install the cloud and cluster controllers on the same computer,
>> that server will act as a proxy for http traffic? In other  words, I can
>> pretend like the controller is just one big computer? I don't believe
>> this is mentioned in the documentation.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Http traffic to/from VMs? No,
> the front end does not control that. Your VMs will appear as "regular"
> hosts. It is upto the application developer to decide what to do what
> their collection of VMs.

Ok, so what I was saying in the first mail is true then? -- If I wanted
the VMs to act like one big computer, hosting a web application through
a single IP, I'd need a load balancer to be behind that single IP and
forward the HTTP traffic to the various VMs?

In other words, Eucalyptus handles making the VMs contiguous and hooked
up to the network (and so much more in a more complex environment), and
I basically end up with (from a systems perspective) a bunch of machines
with the exact same software installed on each?

-Chase