[ubuntu-cloud] [newbie] Can I do this?

Trudy Cool trudy_cool at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 19:30:57 BST 2009

That's great to know, Nick.  Thanks.

This leads me to a further question.  :-)

I want to host a big Internet application (currently under development) at our local data center.  The nature of the beast involves fairly steady usage, but with peak traffic at certain hours, rising to greater peaks at week end, month end and year end.

How easily can I have a Eucalyptus cloud in our data-center to handle the week to week traffic (say), but have the cloud expand itself into an Amazon EC2 space during the monthly and yearly peaks?

By "easily" I mean -- does it expand autromatically or would an operator (cron job?) have to step in before and after those peaks to _tell_ it to expand?

I should mention, possibly, that my project will most likely be using Glassfish (plus Spring Framework, Hibernate, blah, blah).

I don't intend to use AWS stuff like storage, messaging, etc.  UNLESS  (perhaps) Eucalyptus offers the same API for those things too.  Does it?