[ubuntu-cloud] Running Eucalyptus on a single machine

Sidnei da Silva sidnei.da.silva at canonical.com
Fri Aug 21 15:44:37 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Scott Moser<scott.moser at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
>> Note that you will still wired Ethernet for the bridge used by
>> Eucalyptus.  I have not explored the idea of bridging the wireless
>> interface instead; it probably have its own set of gotchas, and will
>> likely not work with NetworkManager *at all*.
>
> I lost several hours during a laptop install of Eucalyptus due to trying
> to use only my wireless.  Following [1] I at one point had guests talking
> through the link, but it was extremely unreliable.  There could be user
> error involved.  Eventually, I gave up, plugged in the ethernet cable and
> everything "Just worked" (tm).

I second that. Looking over Etienne's instructions I can see that I
was pretty close to get it working with wired internet by blindly
poking around and probably gave up too early. Adding to my TODO to try
this again.

> I think it would be great if there was a way to do a
> single-system-using-wireless install of Eucalyptus.  Its probably a
> scenario that lots of people would like to test on.  I don't know how
> realistic it is.  It would probably be easier, and possibly still useful,
> to make only local networking (within the single system) to work.
>
> --
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#BridgingwithawirelessNIC

+lots. I would be immensely grateful if it was possible to use
Eucalyptus in this scenario and I bet that many other developers would
be as well.

-- Sidnei