[ubuntu-cloud] Running Eucalyptus on a single machine

Scott Moser scott.moser at canonical.com
Fri Aug 21 15:37:29 BST 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> Note that you will still wired Ethernet for the bridge used by
> Eucalyptus.  I have not explored the idea of bridging the wireless
> interface instead; it probably have its own set of gotchas, and will
> likely not work with NetworkManager *at all*.

I lost several hours during a laptop install of Eucalyptus due to trying
to use only my wireless.  Following [1] I at one point had guests talking
through the link, but it was extremely unreliable.  There could be user
error involved.  Eventually, I gave up, plugged in the ethernet cable and
everything "Just worked" (tm).

I think it would be great if there was a way to do a
single-system-using-wireless install of Eucalyptus.  Its probably a
scenario that lots of people would like to test on.  I don't know how
realistic it is.  It would probably be easier, and possibly still useful,
to make only local networking (within the single system) to work.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#BridgingwithawirelessNIC