[ubuntu-cloud] Running Eucalyptus on a single machine

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Fri Aug 21 15:13:51 BST 2009

Sidnei,

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> I believe many people would benefit from instructions on how to run it
> on a laptop, specially developers. I tried following the procedure
> outlined in the Ubuntu wiki for setting up Eucalyptus [1] but got
> stuck at the part where it asks you to setup a bridge interface
> because the instructions don't work for a wireless network interface
> and NetworkManager.

I attached a short document I wrote for a customer.  I was planning on
cleaning it up before putting it on the wiki, but since you ask, here it
is.  The document is in "rough draft" state, so be forgiveful.  It make
the assumption that Eucalyptus is to be installed on a laptop, where you
will want to be able to use NetworkManager for wireless connectivity,
and still be able to use wired Ethernet too (which get complicated since
NetworkManager do not handle bridge device at all).

Note that you will still wired Ethernet for the bridge used by
Eucalyptus.  I have not explored the idea of bridging the wireless
interface instead; it probably have its own set of gotchas, and will
likely not work with NetworkManager *at all*.

If you got the time, you may be interested in going over these notes.
Your feedbacks would be very welcomed.  Once I got the time, I will
polish them and published them on the wiki.

I would also love to hear any suggestion our friends at Eucalyptus Corp
may have!  :)

Cheers,

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

 ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~