[ubuntu-cloud] Running Eucalyptus on a single machine (was Re: Ubuntu-cloud Digest, Vol 4, Issue 2)

Sidnei da Silva sidnei.da.silva at canonical.com
Fri Aug 21 13:05:11 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Etienne
Goyer<etienne.goyer at canonical.com> wrote:
> Dong Ruan wrote:
>> 1. Can the cloud be on one machine, I mean cloud controller, cluster and
>> node all on one machine, I am doubting whether I can do it.
> Yes, it can.  But you will have to do without EBS and security groups
> (ie, ingress network filtering).
> You will also have to tweak networking correctly, which may be
> complicated if you are running all three Eucalyptus services on a laptop
> and still expect NetworkManager to work as usual.  Let us know if the
> machine is dedicated to Eucalyptus or laptop/desktop, it will help
> giving specific directives.

I believe many people would benefit from instructions on how to run it
on a laptop, specially developers. I tried following the procedure
outlined in the Ubuntu wiki for setting up Eucalyptus [1] but got
stuck at the part where it asks you to setup a bridge interface
because the instructions don't work for a wireless network interface
and NetworkManager.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Eucalyptus

-- Sidnei