[ubuntu-cloud] libvirt: unknown OS type hvm (code=16)

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Tue Aug 18 15:30:29 BST 2009

On 08/18/2009 04:03 PM, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Nick Barcet wrote:
>> The Euclyptus implementation on Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud requires KVM.
>> To check if your hardware supports KVM, run the command "kvm-ok" or
>> follow these steps (from [1]):
>
> I am pretty sure you still need to turn on the virtualization extensions
> in the BIOS, even if kvm-ok report success.
>
> Not something that I have verified to be true, but someone told me that,
> generally, machine with Intel CPU have the virtualization extensions
> turned off by default, while those with AMD CPU have them turned on.
>
> /me shake fist at Intel for such silly default!

The default is not necessarily silly when you know that, if enabled by
default on a machine that does not use these extensions, there is a
potential exploit that uses the extensions to do some bad stuff...

I am more surprised (and angry) when I find some laptops with totally
capable CPUs, but no option to hvm on in the BIOS.  HP did that for a
while, don't know if that is still the case.

Anyway, in general, the BIOS and it's default are the responsability of
the HW vendor, not the processor manufacturer.

Nick