[ubuntu-cloud] libvirt: unknown OS type hvm (code=16)

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Tue Aug 18 15:03:43 BST 2009

Nick Barcet wrote:
> The Euclyptus implementation on Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud requires KVM.
> To check if your hardware supports KVM, run the command "kvm-ok" or
> follow these steps (from [1]):

I am pretty sure you still need to turn on the virtualization extensions
in the BIOS, even if kvm-ok report success.

Not something that I have verified to be true, but someone told me that,
generally, machine with Intel CPU have the virtualization extensions
turned off by default, while those with AMD CPU have them turned on.

/me shake fist at Intel for such silly default!

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

 ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~