[ubuntu-cloud] libvirt: unknown OS type hvm (code=16)

Dong Ruan rd1983cn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 23:21:39 BST 2009

Dear All

I installed Eucalyptus V 1.5.1 on Ubuntu 9.04, but every time when I
tried to run an instance of my VM, the instance pending first, then it
just terminated itself. I checked nc.log, and I found this error:
libvirt: unknown OS type hvm (code=16). It is about hardware
virtualization. It seems that my hardware doesn't support this, there is
no options in BIOS to turn Virtualization on. I am wondering is there
anyone have similar experience or any idea about this. What should I do
if hardware virtualization is not supported in hardware, how can I make
Eucalyptus work? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Dong Ruan
Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science
Wayne State University