[Ubuntu-Classroom] Promoting Lernid PPA

John S Gruber johnsgruber at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 03:21:12 UTC 2011

Status in short--

No one gave me feedback with regard to your request 3 weeks ago that
the classroom team reexamine the bug list with me.

My own note of two weeks ago asking about blockers resulted in some
discussion, but no one mentioned any blockers or problems with the way
I was proceeding.

With that in mind, I assume that the next release, unless I've really
messed up in implementation, will make lernid supportable by and
acceptable to the classroom team.

I heard from one person voicing regret that they couldn't get to
testing the new lernid release, but other than that I've not had any
bug or flaw feedback to my note from a week ago. The specific
questions at the end of the note about a couple of details remain. I'm
sure people have been busy.

Leia did ask me if we wanted to do another formal test and offered to
put it on the schedule and I told her I didn't know, pending hearing
testing suggestions from the others I wrote (I don't have the ability
to publicize it). As far as I know no one I sent my note to got around
to testing the new Lernid version (0.8.1.4) from the proposed PPA.

Today I found someone else to try the proposed release for me and I
consider his test successful, therefore I plan on doing the code merge
and upload the the lernid-releases ppa, as 0.8.1.4, within the next 24
hours. The way things stand now, I suppose it will get its first "acid
test" on Friday, and then again starting next Monday (from those
subscribing to the lernid-releases ppa). The launchpad interface lists
about 1400 downloads for that archive, but I don't know if that
includes previous releases or about duplicates and the statistic might
be wrong.

If Lernid passes the acid test reasonably well I'll try to get it into
the Oneiric archive, and even later this release or the next into the
archives of older releases. It now seems to me that getting it into
Oneiric may be problematic because of the python-central removal
initiative (and Oneiric is now certainly problematic for me--it seems
to be in great flux and a real problem on my computer).

Everyone--please let me know if you have any questions.

John