[Ubuntu-Classroom] Proposed New Lernid Release

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 29 06:56:56 UTC 2011

On 08/28/2011 08:39 PM, John S Gruber wrote:
> A new proposed Lernid release will be showing up for those of you who
> have added the lernid-proposed ppa to their sources
> (ppa:jsjgruber/lernid-proposed). No magic will be required to install
> it this time since I've gotten rid of the strange versioning from the
> build recipe. If you have the ppa in your sources it should be offered
> automatically by update-manager.
Sounds great, John! I have it installed here and running great on my
Oneiric machine. :-)
> The new release gets rid of the online event configuration file on
> ubuntu-owl, adds new slide features, rounds off some rough edges, and
> should be somewhat more robust. It currently runs under Oneiric
> despite the desktopcouch or couchdb problem there. It begins to
> address non-English use. I'm delighted to say that it includes patches
> from three other contributors, two relatively new. One contributor's
> patch is his first contribution to open source.
Wonderful news about the new contributors! This looks like a solid
release. Quick question - so how are sessions added to Lernid now?
> I'd appreciate any testing any of you might have time to do,
> particularly of the two new options, --debug, which puts out debugging
> messages like now, --verbose, which  does the same but without the
> constant stream of message received and members changed log messages,
> and --avoid-desktopcouch, which tests the new desktopcouch robustness
> mechanism. Just start up Lernid, change your userid and a preference,
> and restart it and make sure the changes are still there.
>
> Testing command options is obviously sort of hard to do online since
> it involves losing contact with testers.
>
> By the way, because of intermittent problems getting lernid to run
> under Oneiric (no fault of Lernid's) I didn't ask for a Lernid 0.8.1.x
> sync to Oneiric. Our ubuntu Lernid releases are all still quite old.
Let's be sure to get it synced before release if possible.
> Lyz, would it be possible to schedule a testing session sometime
> between Monday and late Thursday? It might be good if someone could
> voice a nick not in the calendar during the session. I'd anticipate
> that testing would take between an hour and an hour and a half. I may
> contact you later for another testing session this weekend.
I would love to participate in this.
> I'd like to have this version in the lernid-releases ppa in time for
> the sessions beginning Monday, if that's okay with all of you.
Sounds good to me. :-)
> Leandro, Lyz kindly supplied me with the calendar information for
> ubuntu-charlas. I've dropped ubuntu-classroom-es. I trust that's okay.
>
> By the way, a description of the new release is at
> https://sites.google.com/site/gruberdocuments/engineering-docs/Lernid0.8.2.pdf
> .
>
> Thanks to all of you for your help.

Thanks for rocking the Lernid good and hard, John!

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager