[Ubuntu-Classroom] Ubuntu Classroom Scheduler

Michael mhall119 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 03:41:12 BST 2010

So as Chris mentioned during the last meeting, I wrote a basic session
scheduler for #ubuntu-classroom as part of a 4-session class on Django.
I had originally hoped that the class would have spurred some
participants to continue hacking on it, but that didn't pan out, and I
was so busy with work and school, plus Qimo and LoCo Directory, that I
didn't take it any further either.  I have done a bit of work to apply
the new ubuntu-website theme to it, but that's all.

My initial goal was to make it something akin to loco.ubuntu.com, where
individuals and teams could schedule their sessions in their own
classrooms or in #ubuntu-classroom(-chat), detecting conflicts, setting
up multi-session series like UDW/UOW/UUD, and the like.  Also, like
loco.ubuntu.com, I envisioned it providing iCal, RSS and JSON interfaces
to this data, so that Lernid and Classbot could use JSON calls instead
of parsing fields from an ical event description.  This would give us a
cleaner method of specifying things like session mainpage, slideshow,
etc.  We could also directly provide links to a session's logs since we
would know the channel and date/time.

Anyway, that was my vision, and I didn't think iCal was the right way of
storing and transmitting this data.  I also wanted to allow more people
to schedule their own classes in their own channels, and still be able
to use Lernid without having to contact the classroom team and ask
somebody to add their information to the Google calendar.
--
Michael <mhall119 at gmail.com>