[Ubuntu-Classroom] Ubuntu Classroom Updates

Chris Johnston chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 11 19:18:57 GMT 2010

Good Day!

Recently there have been a number of changes in the Ubuntu Classroom
program. I am going to try to explain all of the changes to you so that
everyone is on the same page. We have now developed a Classroom Management
Team, which consists of Nathan Handler [2], Lyz Krumbach [3], and myself
[4]. Please feel free to contact any one of us if you have any comments,
questions or concerns.

As Lyz mentioned in an email a few weeks ago, we now have a new channel for
the behind the scenes work for the Ubuntu Classroom,
#ubuntu-classroom-backstage. This channel has been created with a couple
purposes in mind. We plan on using this channel for things like planning
classroom sessions, answering questions for instructors and possible
instructors.

The decision was made to add expiration dates to memberships in the Ubuntu
Classroom team on Launchpad [1]. Currently the expirations were all set to
six months. The membership is self renewable, however we do request that if
you no longer wish to help out with the Ubuntu Classroom program.

We're hiring! We aren't paying, but we are currently looking for volunteers
for the Ubuntu Classroom program. Currently we need help in two main areas.
The first area is in recruitment. I have created a small guide [5] on
recruiting instructors. We are currently lacking in sessions being
scheduled, and we are hoping to fill the schedule with some good classes. I
have also updated both the Guidelines [6] and Submissions [7] pages on the
wiki to reflect current practices. A note on scheduling classes. Please run
dates and times for classes through a member of the Classroom Management
Team prior to adding the class to the schedule.

We are also in need of Session Helpers. At present, a session helper will be
scheduled to be present during classes to offer assistance to the
instructor. Tasks could involve giving the instructor Ops/Voice, changing
the channel topic, making the classroom moderated, and assisting with
posting question from #ubuntu-classroom-chat into #ubuntu-classroom. You can
find out more on the Session Helpers wiki page [8] Nathan is currently
working on a bot that may replace some of the currents tasks that a session
helper will be involved with. More to come on this topic at a later time.

We now have the Ubuntu Classroom schedule available in an iCal format [9]
that you can subscribe to. We will keep this calendar up to date, so please
subscribe to it, and share it the link to it with others.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-classroom<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-classroom>
[2] https://launchpad.net/~nhandler <https://launchpad.net/%7Enhandler>
[3] https://launchpad.net/~lyz <https://launchpad.net/%7Elyz>
[4] https://launchpad.net/~chrisjohnston<https://launchpad.net/%7Echrisjohnston>