Thoughts

Belinda A. Lopez dinda at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 14:41:40 GMT 2008

Yes!  The Training Team would love to collaborate with you folks and
needs your help!  I've just been swamped with real life and job
changes so haven't been able to reach out to you folks yet.    The
Training Team meets biweekly in #ubuntu-training.  See https://
wiki.ubuntu.com/Training for more info.
Basically, the Ubuntu Desktop Course is in the final stages of
editing and should be going to print any day now.  While Canonical
sponsored the initial development, community members were asked to
help proof and edit and now the documents are being released under
the CC-SA-NC license.  They want and encourage Community members/
teams to use the materials.  The materials are not intended for
professional trainers or companies to take and use to charge for
Ubuntu training courses but if you want to help train a Loco team or
a group of teachers or other folks, then by all means, the materials
are yours to use for free.  There is also a good translation process
in the works.

Our biggest need/hurdle moving forward is finding a better way to get
more contributors into the next version of the course.  We have been
following the Doc Team structure, using DocBook for development, but
find that has a high learning curve for new folks who want to get
started.  They are also using Bzr for version control and that has
led to some problems as well.  We're actively looking for ideas on a
better process that allows even casual contributors to participate
without a high pain threshold for even looking at the materials.
Right now you can download pdf versions of the Instructor and Student
Guide off the Training wiki page and then file bugs against it in
Launchpad.

cheers,

Belinda