[Ubuntu-ch] regional contact cleanup

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Sep 27 20:03:15 UTC 2011

Heya there,

my opinion on the whole subject:

The wikipage is merely a list of people who want to give support for
Ubuntu - these are *not* necessarely the same people who want to do
any kind of community work.

If I think I'm able to give support for Ubuntu, why should I have to
join a mailinglist which is about topics which most likely neither
influence me, nor are interesting for me? Even more so for people
which aren't able to speak English very well.

So, in my opinion:

Sending a people a (personal!) email to see if they're still active,
and if needed delete them (maybe after a second reminder, some people
tend to overlook some mails) is okay.

*Forcing* people to join a Mailinglist in order to continue to be able
to share the spirit of Ubuntu by giving support is clearly not. Not
everyone is comfortable with mailinglists. Not everyone is comfortable
with English. Not everyone is interested in the topics either. This
significantly puts the barrier for some people willing to give support
up, which is not a good thing at all. Informing there there is a such
thing like a mailing list is enough. Why force them to join?

>> i think this isn't a good action - loosing contacts to people who can't read
>> this List frquently is quickly done - regaining those people is hard work.
> Besides that, we lose nothing. This is a wiki and all revisions are stored. So if we need to look back, we can just open an older revision.

I think Tscheesy was mainly talking about the "psychological" loss
here, not about the technical side.

The important point is these are people *locally* to someone who needs
support. If I need support, I don't care about the 80 people of the 90
who aren't in my area.

A cleanup might be needed because there are indeed people who maybe
quit using ubuntu or have another adress and just forgot about
removing themselves from the list. But if we need to do a cleanup, we
need to do it as soft as possible (i.e. long deadlines, more than one
reminder. To err is human, and I regularely flag some mails as
important and look at them some weeks later). We should value the
people giving something back to the community, not restrict them.

Just my $0.02,

Florian
(who is, by the way, perfectly fine with being on this mailing list :P)