[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu CH on Facebook

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:35:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Kim Tucker wrote:
> -1 Please consider the freedom issues.
>
> and consider free services such as GNU social, status.net, Crabgrass,
> Appleseed and Diaspora.
>
> The issues are summarised here:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/facebook
>
> Thanks
>
> Kim
>
> PS and http://wikieducator.org/Say_libre :-).

Thanks for the informative links that I hope everybody (well those of
you on Facebook) will read.

However, I see a Facebook presence simply as advertising for Ubuntu.
Of course the Ubuntu Swiss Team should principally not encourage
people to use such services. But look at me, I am sending this e-mail
from Gmail :) And there is WUBI for installing Ubuntu inside a
Microsoft system. Oh, and there is UbuntuOne which is based on a
closed, proprietary system - don't get me started on that one.

It would be great if someone set up a similar page on GNU social,
status.net, Crabgrass, Appleseed and Diaspora, but if the most
important is to reach out to a new audience, Facebook may be more
efficient. Make those people use Ubuntu, maybe they will understand
the values of free software and act accordingly, over time.

Cheers,
Tormod