[Ubuntu-ch] Edubuntu now with LTSP live (but not working)

Theo Schmidt theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Mon May 10 17:06:44 BST 2010

Hi, this is a question for Stephane Graber, if you're here, or maybe somebody
else has the answer.

I just tried out Edubuntu 10.04. It's great now having this as a live medium,
even if it no longer fits on a CD! Thank you so much.

It has something new called LTSP live, which I guess you helped develop,
Stephane. I just saw your tutorial on Youtube, very neat!

Now my problem is, it doesn't work. I have two network cards, eth0 and eth1.
Internet ran without any configuration on eth1, so I asked LTSP-live to use
eth0. It installed OK, no errors and the new ltsp folders are all there in home.
But the Thin Client connected to eth0 doesn't get any DHCP offers. I tried
switching network cards and connections to no avail. Just once, with the Thin
Client running while trying another installation, it did get an IP before the
installation finished but then failed with "ARP timed out". And afterwards there
was no DHCP either. It doesn't seem possible to restart the DHCP server. The
exact same Thin Client and network work perfectly with LTSP normally, I use it
every day on Hardy.

Any idea what could be wrong? Have you ever tried it with a real thin client and
network, not a virtual machine as in your video? I can't find any bugs on the
internet, but of course it's very new.

Cheers, Theo Schmidt