[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu bad for Scribus?

Theo Schmidt theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Mon Mar 1 09:46:18 GMT 2010

Myriam Schweingruber schrieb:
>> first. However at the moment lots of things are working perfectly with KDE3.5,
>> so I'm putting off problems related to this as long as possible.
>
> Well, I don't think this is necessary, there are not more changes
> between KDE 3.5x and KDE 4.3.x than there are between Windows Vista
> and Windows 7, and people are used to switch those OS since years.

Thanks, Myriam.
I know people still using Windows 98, because if you have an environment set up
to work well, *every* change is a nuisance and costs money. With free software,
it is almost worse, as progress is faster. (I assume you are aware of the
gigantic waste of taxpayers' money by updating the "federal desktop" from
Windows XP to Windows Vista instead of going directly to Windows 7) (apart from
the even larger wastage of using Windows at all ;-) ).

In my case, one of the things is a script to batch-process pictures which works
by drag and drop in KDE3.5, which I need to transfer to KDE4.

>> However, I didn't want to start a KDE-disscussion, but rather ask if there is
>> conceivably any truth in the scribus-developers claim that Ubuntu was the most
>> unsatisfactory of the large distribution to run Scribus with, because of large
>> changes within QT by Canonical, and if it would be preferable to use Debian
>> QT-packages rather than Ubuntu QT-packages.
>
> I don't know where you heard or read that, but it is complete and
> utter rubbish. Could you please provide some source on that? Kubuntu
> doesn't modify Qt. On the contrary, it is most likely the distribution
> that uses the most vanilla KDE 4 and Qt. As an example: try to get
> OpenSuSE's KDE to work correctly with the latest Qt 4.6.2... judging
> from the amount of bug reports we get lately it is much, much worse
> than Kubuntu, and OpenSuSE patches a lot :(

Well, it's statement against statement here. As it was a private mail, I'll have
to ask the Scribus developer for permission to give his name here.

> Also, I just checked here, using Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE SC 4.4, Qt
> 4.6.1 and Scribus-ng 1.3.5.dfsg~svn20090208-2ubuntu2  and everything
> works fine, no crashes so far. Are you sure you have all the
> dependencies installed correctly?

Thank you. Yes, but the issue for me is Scribus-ng from Hardy, which is 1.3.4.,
which literally seems a bastard between new features and old toolkit.

Cheers, Theo

PS For every posting to this list I get the following:

<tomcat at inorbit.ch>
     (reason: 550 SPF-check failed: Please see
http://www.openspf.org/why.html?sender=theo.schmidt%40wilhelmtux.ch&ip=64.12.207.163&receiver=mxin005.mail.hostpoint.ch)