[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu-ch Digest, Vol 42, Issue 16

Ramón Cahenzli ramon.cahenzli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:33:10 GMT 2010

Hi everyone :)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 14:53, Myriam Schweingruber
<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:

> Yes, I know that you do this, of course. Thank you for reminding me :)
>
> But there is a clear difference between a reseller like you who don't
> have multiple stores and build on demand, and big resellers with
> multiple stores in the main street. At least I can't remember having
> seen a pre-installed Linux on any entry-level PC for the everyday user
> in a shop so far.

Of course right in the moment when Nicki posts www.lincomp.ch to this
list, there is a major network outage at our server's location and you
can't get on the page at all :P

Nicki and I are planning to expand Lincomp this year, but you are
right that going to a specialized dealer because you already know you
want Ubuntu is not the same as seeing Ubuntu preinstalled at stores
like Manor or InterDiscount. There used to be some Acer netbooks with
some horribly butchered GNU/Linux at InterDiscount, but of course
customers complained about that horrible GNU/Linux distribution and so
InterDiscount's management probably thought "Bah, stop selling that
Linux crap, it gives me headaches."

It would be nice to see Ubuntu at major retailers. In fact, we'd
welcome the competition :)  Not because we want to enter into a price
war with a large national store chain owned by one of the nation's
retail duopolists, but because it would be a sign that demand for
GNU/Linux among average people is climbing.

The GNU/Linux market for home and office users (basically, the
desktop) is still a mythical creature, in my opinion. No one knows
where it lives, what it looks like and what kind of food it eats. I'm
very eager to find out, though ;)

- rca