[Ubuntu-ch] Release Candidate: SwissRemix for Karmic Koala

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:50:26 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Hassan El Jacifi <waver at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> * Booting after install:
>
> After the install, Grub detect correctly windows7 (2.png) but I can't
> boot anymore windows 7 (3.png).

I have seen something similar, the machine had dual boot (Karmic and
XP?) and then Vista or 7 had been installed which overwrote grub.
After I reinstalled the grub boot sector with the help of a live USB
stick, Windows would not boot and complained about "NTLDR missing".

The solution was to boot with the Windows install CD (twice!) which
offered a repair option one time and a automatic recovery the other
time, and finally everything was fine. I was impressed by the Windows
CD which did this so easily (and without breaking grub again) but it
was not obvious that you would have to boot the CD twice. However with
some Windows experience you know that rebooting several times in a row
can only be good and beats all logic reasoning.

With older Windows, there is a command line recovery (from CD or 4
floppies!) where you can run two commands, "fixboot" which rewrites
the boot sector on the Windows partition (might be equivalent to the
above), and "fixmbr" which rewrites the master boot record (which will
nuke grub again).

HTH,
Tormod