[Ubuntu-ch] Linux Install Event Experience

Theo Schmidt theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Tue Nov 3 16:38:12 GMT 2009

Stephen Piana schrieb:
 > I see, now I understand the problem pertaining to new users using the
 > swiss remix distro they have too many options to choose from in the
 > login area...

Not really. If they start the live system and do nothing they will get Gnome
with German language and keyboard. They have the option of changing these
immediately after booting using using the F-keys described then. If they are
quick, they would have 10 seconds to change the language and desktop when the
login screen appears some minutes later, but sometimes it doesn't show and most
people are too slow to react quickly enough the first time. They can get the
login back from Gnome by logging off and then (quickly) choosing "change
session" and/or "change language", retyping "ubuntu" and <return> for password.
There is also a question for making the selections the default ones. It's
difficult enough that new users probably can't do it unless having read the
documentation. Therefore most new users will get Gnome in German, or the other
language chosen at boot time. Thus the options are there, but not easily used.

After installing, it is similar and I guess most people won't even realise that
they could switch to KDE4 or XFCE, but they will have most programs available,
e.g. Marble even with Gnome. (Marble is popular enough that there is a live
system just for starting this, with Swiss Remix you have this built in!)

The main confusion results because different programs (e.g. file managers) start
different other programs when clicking on files, but those who study the choices
using right-click "open with..." will soon get unconfused.

Cheers, Theo