[Ubuntu-ch] Text for OpenExpo poster

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Fri Mar 13 16:36:53 GMT 2009

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:55, Jeff R. Allen <jra at nella.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list, hope you don't mind me introducing myself. I'll
> try to be of some help to Myriam in any case, to excuse my
> interruption.

Welcome to the list! It's always a pleasure to greet new members :)

> I am an American who is marrying a Swiss girl. We've lived in Lausanne
> on and off. We are in England right now, but we are counting down the
> days until we can shop at a Migros again. :) I'll be looking for work
> in Suisse Romande, in IT and/or project management. I'm almost full
> time Ubuntu, though I mostly use it to do OpenWRT (embedded Linux)
> development for PC Engines Alix boards.
>
> As for your slogan... Switzerland is a place that is defined by it's
> community spirit, and by a culture and economy made stronger, rather
> than weaker, by multiple geographic zones and languages. (Well, when
> everything is working right. Of course, sometimes the politics goes to
> hell, but it works right more often than my country does, from what
> I've observed...)
>
> Ubuntu is about two special things: the right to use software in your
> language, and the responsibility to engage with those around you to
> help them use Ubuntu better.
>
> I don't have a clever idea for a slogan ready (and anyway, starting
> from my native English is unlikely to result in a useful slogan in
> French/German/Italian). But I think starting from the principles of
> "in your own language" and "not just an OS, but a community ready to
> welcome you", is the right way to go.

I'm not sure we really need to translate a slogan, we would rather
translate explicative text I think.

"In our language" is quite close to the current Microsoft Office
slogan aimed at Swiss users I have just seen a few days ago: "In Your
Language". They are actively promoting the Romansh Office version with
one-page adds in magazines.  Seems there were 4 linguists working on
that during 6 months...

Unfortunately, the Linux localization is not as well advanced, mainly
because the translators of the Lia Rumantscha don't work for free and
the current written Rumantsch Grischun is an artificial language
nobody really speaks. I know of a translated Mozilla a friend of mind
did some time ago, I would love to have more translations in our
fourth language achieved by now. (Maybe there are some I don't know
of...).

But I digress... So far the idea of using this slogan is quite
attractive, it would read like this:

In our language - In unserer Sprache - Dans notre langue - Nella nostra lingua

I would love to add Romansh, be it only to stimulate potential
translators to collaborate with the localization groups.

Good idea, it could also be combined with "Ubuntu pro omnibus, omnes
pro Ubuntu" form our wiki page (got that idea from Nicola, see his
mail of today).

Regards, Myriam.

--
Protect your freedom and join the Fellowship of FSFE for 2009:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/2009