[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu 9.04 SwissRemix RC

Daniel Stoni dsto at stoni.ch
Tue Jun 2 07:52:00 BST 2009

Hello all

As announced earlier, we are in charge of building a Ubuntu SwissRemix.
There is now a version ready for testing which can be downloaded from

	http://www.teamubuntu.ch/pub/9.04-desktop+swiss-remix/

At the moment, you may use ubuntu at stoni.ch for feedback about the
SwissRemix.

Please note:
- the product follows the philosophy defined for the 8.04 remix: combine
the different desktops and add most useful & current software and local
languages. This should make the Remix suitable for demonstration or many
offline installation purposes.
- there should be no change of behaviour compared to the original Ubuntu
product.
- documentation of the SwissRemix has been slightly updated and some
additional extras ("The official Ubuntu Book") are now included. Content
 limited to non-commercial-use-only has been removed.
- the website for the DVD is planned for availability by June 4. Until
then use ubuntu at stoni.ch for communication. Please use this mail address
for SwissRemix related questions/submissions only.

How you can help:
- check if your favorite program is included. If not, let us know. We
are highly interested in your requirements and enumeration of
'must-have-tools'. For example you can vote for a preinstall of the
kernel sources .... We have special interest in hints by people using
OEM install. Target date for any feedback: June 6, 2009.
- there is a readme on the desktop - which is stored in
/etc/skel/Desktop. Not the prettiest approach, I know. Suggestions?
- Readme is in english only, I will translate to german myself - is  any
volunteer out there for an italian or french (short) edition?

About customizations:
- there are plenty of ideas how to ease/automate customization of the
Software. Swiss Bookmarks, OpenOffice Settings, Mail configuration
or dial-up samples, dictionaries, furthermore. To allow distribution and
maintenance of such scripts and configurations, we have initialized the
swiss ppa archive on launchpad (contribution by Logintas AG). The PPA
is activated in the SwissRemix - along with 'restricted', 'multiverse'
and 'medibuntu'.

Best regards, dsto
***