[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu 9.04 SwissRemix d-f-i-e

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Thu Jul 23 09:46:28 BST 2009

Please, list participants, do not top post, there are rules for Ubuntu
lists: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette,
it disrupts work flow heavily for the other readers.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:12, Daniel Stoni<dsto at stoni.ch> wrote:

> Hello Myriam
>
> 50% are still many. Even 5%. But I agree, we will document and - as an
> advantage and workaround - there is still Gnome Networkmanager available
> on the media which can be used.

I should have said much lower than 50% then, I guess it's more around
th 5% actually :) (estimation taken from the support I give in
#kubuntu on irc.freenode.net and being part of the #kubuntu-devel
team). Also, we should include the wicd package, works flawlessly here
for WIFI with WPA.

What bothers me more is the problems with Xorg drivers (ATI 6.x and
NVIDIA 180), which the Ubuntu core devs have adopted blindly after
Jaunty Alpha 5 and causes numerous problems with ATI and NVIDIA cards,
not to mention the Intel graphic chip of the eeePC... and that causes
disruption in much more than 5% of the users. Expect people to *not*
be happy when they can't use 3D on their high performance cards or
can't even start their desktop because of a faulty fglrx driver... And
no, only the lucky ones have their ATI card running smoothly with the
free radeon driver, so not really an alternative for full performance.
But on the positive side: even with a lame Radeon driver and very
basic desktop effects in XRender, my Thinkpad W500 runs so much better
with Linux than it does with Vista :)

Still, this is one more reason to be in favor of doing a Swiss Remix
only with LTS releases, at least there goes much more polishing than
there was for Jaunty. Always keep in mind that the non-LTS releases
are always only steps to the next LTS, and we are still one year away
from 10.04-LTS. So far, even Karmic Koala in its current Alpha 3 stage
works better for me than Jaunty ever did...

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org