[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu 9.04 SwissRemix d-f-i-e [OT KDE]

Theo Schmidt theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Wed Jul 22 17:44:15 BST 2009

Myriam Schweingruber schrieb:
>> And  now Gnome is threatening to do the same as KDE, a major new rebuild! While this
>> is all pro-choice and pro-freedom, I think it is getting too intimidating and
>> may put people off Linux.
>
> I think you are wrong, it is called evolution and progress, we have
> been behind schedule long enough on new desktop technologies, now we
> are taking the lead and trust me, from the response I get when
> presenting the new KDE 4.3, it's all "wanna have!"

I hope you are right. I do expect that young people and newcomers will love the
new desktops, but conservative business users may not be that thrilled. I just
helped somebody with a Novell SuSE SLED Installation, and this is Gnome but made
up to look rather like an older KDE.

> FWIW, Kubuntu very much looks and behaves like upstream KDE intended
> it to do. There is simply not enough manpower behind Kubuntu to
> customize it. So if one wants a 'pure' KDE, Kubuntu is the choice to
> go with.

I havn't been able to find a "recommended" design at kde.org, but the main
screenshot does appear to come from Kubuntu, as you say, with the black menu bar
and a blue background.

> PS. Not going to be that responsive in the next weeks, my health
> resuming and a lot of work waiting for me.

I guess you didn't get a "Schweinegrippe" but a "Schweingruber-grippaler
Infekt". I hope you are better!

Cheers, Theo