[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu 9.04 SwissRemix d-f-i-e

Daniel Stoni dsto at stoni.ch
Tue Jul 14 09:47:32 BST 2009

Hello Ubuntu Team

As we had to apply major changes after the last announcement, it took a
while to make this build ready. Thanks for your patience.

There is now the second release candidate of Ubuntu 9.04 SwissRemix
d-f-i-e ready for testing. Unless you find severe bugs, this is the
edition to be used for the DVD Master by July 25.

The ISO of current Build 11 can be downloaded:

http://www.teamubuntu.ch/pub/9.04-desktop+swiss-remix/

The SwissRemix
- brings Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu desktops on one media (DVD)
- contains current fixes and language files for d/f/i/e
- is fine for demonstration AND installation
- carries additional free media - documentation, audio, movies
- contains a lot of education material and a selection of games
- contains additional productivity tools and internet utilities
- offers a larger choice of multimedia tools and codecs
- has a set of (command line) tools included for professionals
- works as live CD - also in virtual systems
- and can used as source for live USB Sticks

The SwissRemix is not
- a lean Ubuntu setup! Please reserve more than 6 GB harddrive space.

Apart from this, Ubuntu SwissRemix is a nice example how
organisations/schools/companies may customize an own Remix with Ubuntu
Customization Kit.

One major goal of the SwissRemix was to bundle what we blieve to be
useful on most user PCs. It should set a standard when comparing with
other platforms urging users to gather tools, drivers and software from
many different sources. To meet this goal, many community members have
already contributed their lists of favourite tools and 'must-haves',
thanks a lot.

Please let me know if you find any precious piece of software missing
from the Remix!

I hope you have time to spend for another testing of 'our' Remix and
report your observations before July 20.

Best regards, dsto
***