[Ubuntu-ch] Language

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 25 20:21:52 BST 2008

WaVeR wrote:
> To resume:
>
> - organizing release parties and other coming-togethers.
> - as we have 4 official languages here in Switzerland, we've chosen
> English as our exchange language and then people are mainly using
> language-specific forums for online-support and our contact list for
> local-support.
> - we (SwissTeam) focus on local activities, not language-specific
> - team only do the on-site part of the support, which means meeting,
> release parties and exhibitions, the on-line activities are directed to
> the others communities like ubuntu-fr, ubuntu-it, ubuntu-de
>

> So please, keep ubuntu-ch united. If someone need a help he can go to
> the specific mailing-liste/forum for the language that he speak.
>
> P.S: English is not my mother language, and I dont write it 100%
> correctly, but it's the simple way to keep everybody on the ML informed.
>

> Regards,
>
> ---
> Hassan

Hey everyone,

Thanks Hassan for reminding everyone on the list of why we were approved
as a LoCoTeam in the first place. I remember some discussions some
months/years ago about the "usual" language issue in Switzerland and
honestly it's exactly why we chose english and why I'm still convinced
it was a really good idea.

We have huge communities for support in Germany, Italy and France and
it's really not our goal to create 4 more of these. The goal of
Ubuntu-ch is to handle organization of events, taking part in
conferences, ... and for that the best is clearly to use a common
language which in our case couldn't be French, German or Italian as it'd
have very likely started a "language war", so we chose english (as I
doubt everyone on this list is able to speak Chinese :)).

So just to make things clear, our goal (as mainly taken from Hassan's
post are):
- - organize events in all parts of switzerland and keeping
synchronization of what's happening everywhere (sharing materials, tips,
...)
- - redirect anyone asking for support to the right community depending on
the language
- - provide local support, giving cds, ... from people on the contact list
- - we do NOT want another ubuntu-de, ubuntu-fr or ubuntu-it, these
already exist and are great.

And to answer Dirk's posts, I'm also an Ubuntu member (in fact I'm of
the ones who approve Ubuntu membership), so is Myriam, Hassan, Carlos
and some others very active members in ubuntu-ch. And strangely most of
them are the team founders or administrators (sort-of) and I don't think
any of us ever saw the issue you're currently talking about.

Now guys, can we just please stop this "war" and start contributing
again, I think we've proved in the past that the current structure is
quite good and works well for what we need it to. Let's focus on the
upcoming release party instead of flooding the mailing list, thanks.

Sorry for the rather brutal post, but I hate waking up and seeing 10
mails about languages in my ubuntu-ch inbox, I'd expecting seeing more
about organizing parties instead.

Stéphane