[Ubuntu-ch] Fwd: Language

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sat Oct 25 11:02:34 BST 2008

Sorry, this was ment to go to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch>
Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ch] Language
To: Pierre Graber <pierre at pcpg.net>

Hi all,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Pierre Graber <pierre at pcpg.net> wrote:
> Le samedi 25 octobre 2008, Myriam Schweingruber a écrit :
>
> Hi All,
>
> I understand Myriam's point of view. If everyone use his language, we'll very
> quickly get a swiss german mailing list (even without any willingness to
> ignore the minorities).
Exactly, and I can assure you, I witnessed this with another Swiss
organisation who simply went into oblivion because we began to use all
languages. I speak from 20+ years of experience in trying to make
Swiss-wide work in technology and politics. After less than 6 month
almost all the non-German speakers were gone, and there were not
few...

> But I also think that Dirk is right to say that the exclusive use of English
> deprives us of the contributions of a large segment of the population.
> I was pleased that the Release Parties are now made in the local language. If
> we want to spread our passion in a wide audience, it must pass that way.
> I understand (and approved) Carlos intervention in that context.
> It seems to me quite natural that the messages over a german speaking event
> can be written in German.
> This does not affect our prioritary use of English.

Never said it was not allowed, but one should clearly state in the
subject what language this mail is in. And guess how many will
complain once somebody does a post in Italian?

> It's not just about education level. For example, as a teacher to work in
> Switzerland, I had chosen Italian as 3rd language... I learned english later
> by myself (I understand but can't speak/write easily).

The current policy is to offer English as second or third language at
least. Of all the people I know in the Swiss group nobody, is unable
to understand English so far... anyways, nobody should be afraid to
post in poor English, but keep in mind that we talk about computers,
technology and an international organisation, all three expect people
to be able to understand English...

> Tolerance is an important value of the Ubuntu community. This should lead us
> to accept a few mails (or mailing threads)  in a national language...
> exceptionally.

We never refused that AFAIK! And of course if we do localised release
parties, the point is to address those in these regions in their
language.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org