[Ubuntu-ch] Language

Pierre Graber pierre at pcpg.net
Sat Oct 25 09:32:32 BST 2008

Le samedi 25 octobre 2008, Myriam Schweingruber a écrit :

Hi All,

I understand Myriam's point of view. If everyone use his language, we'll very
quickly get a swiss german mailing list (even without any willingness to
ignore the minorities).

But I also think that Dirk is right to say that the exclusive use of English
deprives us of the contributions of a large segment of the population.
I was pleased that the Release Parties are now made in the local language. If
we want to spread our passion in a wide audience, it must pass that way.
I understand (and approved) Carlos intervention in that context.
It seems to me quite natural that the messages over a german speaking event
can be written in German.
This does not affect our prioritary use of English.

It's not just about education level. For example, as a teacher to work in
Switzerland, I had chosen Italian as 3rd language... I learned english later
by myself (I understand but can't speak/write easily).

Tolerance is an important value of the Ubuntu community. This should lead us
to accept a few mails (or mailing threads)  in a national language...
exceptionally.

Imho this mailing list should officially stay in English, but we should also
accept mails in a national language (especially if they're about an event that
will use that language).

Greets.

Pierre

--