[Ubuntu-ch] Legal Status questions

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 09:59:44 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Theo Schmidt
<theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> wrote:
> Daniel Stoni schrieb:
>> ... having a proper legal status on our own (ubuntu-ch)
>> would be really useful. Founding a  formal non-profit association (Legal
>> - ease communication with business contacts,
>> - pay expense, accept donations & do investments for useful things.
>> Can we have a discussion on this? a vote? Are there experienced people
>> on the list? Or is there anything in place I'm not aware of?
>
> Pro:
>
> A formal legal structure is sometimes needed. For example, I am in the
> International Human Powered Vehicle Association and we didn't bother to
> set up a formal legal structure. As a result, some Americans have stolen
> our name and website, so we problably have to rename to World Human
> Powered Vehicle Association.
>

> Con:
>
> A formal structure isn't really needed for low-key non-profit activity
> in Switzerland. Just having such a structure doesn't mean that there
> will be much activity, as is the case with Wilhelm Tux. We already have
> too many small associations.

Hi,
This discussion pops up from time to time on this list. Please look
through the archives. So far there hasn't been any practical need for
it AFAICS. I prefer we organize release parties and discuss Ubuntu
rather than General Assemblies and discuss our statutes :) But again,
this was already discussed, I don't want to revoke a new discussion
and just repeat myself.

For names and web sites, we are protected by Canonical's legal
department. Regarding Tribaal's original request, I don't think we
need old hardware, it wouldn't fit into our activities - unless we
extend them of course.

I would be interested in a discussion about consolidating the forest
of Swiss Linux and FOSS entities in order to get more "real work"
done. And even more interested in discussing the "real work" itself :)

Tormod