[Ubuntu-ch] A very anoying problem

Myriam Rita Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Tue Nov 6 22:27:55 GMT 2007

Hi all,

for those not following discussions on our IRC channel, we recently discovered
that an individual has set up a website called ubuntu-schweiz.org (DO NOT
CLICK ON THE LINK PLEASE, see below), pretending to represent a Swiss Ubuntu
Community.

Digging through the website and searching for additional info on the web, we
have the very unpleasant impression that this is not only a fake, but an
opportunist mode to generate money out of the Ubuntu celebrity.

1. @ Carlos aka emonkey: you have been in touch with this person, could you
please report ASAP here on the list to tell us how your contact went.

2. We, as the official Swiss Ubuntu Loco Team, have to discuss this problem
seriously, as this person is giving a wrong impression of whom he represents.
Also, he is using a slightly modified Ubuntu Logo (derivative of a Canonical
trademark) and the "Ubuntu" name (registred trademark of Canonical Ltd.)

3. Also, and quite a few of us were not aware of because we were using
Adblock, every click on the website and every click to a link leading to this
site or a page of it generates money on this persons account. He very
cleverly asked on various German Ubuntu forums to vote for a magazine he is
publishing, so even more money is generated. Worse even, he has a paypal
button on the website pointing to his own personal Gmail address, not
comforting us in the innocence of his goals.

So please, Carlos, your feedback is urgently needed. @ all, your comments are
welcome, and of course suggestions how to solve this unpleasant situation.

Greets

Myriam

PS. Hope to see you folks in Bern this Saturday :)
--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org