adobe flash updates

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Mar 25 17:54:40 UTC 2017

Raymond, what sites are you browsing that still deliver that "update
Flash" message?

I haven't had Flash installed in years, and most video sites work
fine. The exceptions are CBC and CTV news. For that I have a separate
media computer, on which I run Google Chrome. That doesn't use Adobe
Flash, but its own built-in Pepperpot Flash (at least, that's what it
used to be called).

I don't know if Adobe will maintain their new-found love for Linux,
but if Flash on Windows is anything to go by, even up-to-date Flash
installations are a major source of vulnerabilities. If I were you I'd
uninstall every Flash component, and use Google Chrome only when I
absolutely have to.

- --Bob.

On 2017-03-25 01:42 PM, JP wrote:
> I take it back. Adobe is now giving security-only updates to the
> NPAPI plugin that Firefox uses, after 4 years of being ignored.
> Chrome has newer flash built in, so that would be a better option
> than updating flash for Firefox.
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/3116409/linux/adobe-revives-flash-for-firefox-on-linux-after-axing-it-four-years-ago.amp.html
>
>  On 25 March 2017 13:34:02 GMT-04:00, raymond
> <raymondh40 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-03-25 01:31 PM, JP wrote:
>>> Flash for Linux is dead. Thankfully. Adobe isn't doing updates,
>>> and hasn't for a long time, leaving vulnerabilities unpatched.
>>> It's time for the world to move on.
>>>
>>> On 25 March 2017 13:28:52 GMT-04:00, raymond
>>> <raymondh40 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all, I'm having trouble opening videos on web pages and
>>> I keep getting: adobe flash needs to be updated and is
>>> vulnerable.I'm using ubuntu 1610 and I'm not getting updates
>>> for flash, I know there's been a lot said about flash but where
>>> are
>> we
>>> with all this? do we have a replacement? I keep trying to
>>> update it as they recommend but it does not work.Confused about
>>> it all, need help from you knowledgeable types out there.
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
>>> brevity. so JP, how do I open videos?

- --