thunderbird

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Mar 15 17:04:02 UTC 2017

Hi Raymond: I use Thunderbird (actually Icedove) with my mail server,
sobac.com, so my mail only goes to gmail if I send it to someone with
an @gmail.com address. If I send to someone else @sobac.com the mail
never even leaves my server.

Yes, you can set up Thunderbird to use gmail, and that will go a long
way to giving you more control over your own mail. That's actually a
good first step, because if you decide you don't like Thunderbird
after all then you can go right back to using the Web interface and
nothing has changed.

Switching your e-mail to another service provider (like @teksavvy.com
or @mailfence.com) is a bit more involved.  Since gmail allows IMAP
access you can use Thunderbird to see your folders on the gmail
server, and just copy the entire mailbox to another provider using
Thunderbird (or a utility like imapcopy). Unfortunately, some mail
services like Yahoo don't provide IMAP access, so you can't use your
own MUA with Yahoo mail (nor imapcopy), so it becomes much more
difficult to transfer your mail to another provider.

https://mailfence.com/ offers secure e-mail with access through IMAP
and SMTP (I haven't used it, so I can't give a recommendation).
ProtonMail and Tutanota are two other popular secure e-mail providers,
but they don't offer IMAP+SMTP access.

For those people using Rogers as their ISP, you should know that
they're using Yahoo mail. Yahoo is one of the worst mail providers out
there -- it's not compatible with most mailing list software, and has
unknown anti-spam rules so that people with @yahoo.com addresses don't
even know they're not getting all their mail.

- --Bob

imapcopy:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&keywords=imapcopy&searchon=all