17.04

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 20:24:02 UTC 2017

looks something like this?

if so, well that's good news.  you can see the internet.

now try it as

ping www.google.ca

(ignore the underscores)

if you get the same result, then that's further good news.  if it fails,
then the problem could be name resolution (i.e. you're lacking the
mechanism to translate "www.google.ca" to "74.125.28.94" or whatever value
it turns out to.

Also, I want to see the results of ifconfig, but to save you some typing,
just give me the part that says:

inet x.x.x.x  (where 'x' is some number)

but I need to see the active NIC card, be it your wi-fi or cable
connection.  So look for something that starts with "inet 192.168.x.x"
(most likely)