17.04

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 19:51:21 UTC 2017

I suspect (although I can't say for sure) that the issue isn't with Firefox
or Chrome, but with the networking (i.e. your computer can't see the
network, thus can't get on the internet).

To confirm, go to a command line and enter:

ping 8.8.8.8

either you'll get pings from Google (that's one of their addresses) or
you'll get timeouts.  If it times out, then the problem is most likely with
the eth0 or wlan0 or whatever NIC you're using.

If the pings return good, then try ping www.google.ca.  If it says it
doesn't know the address then the problem is name resolution.

If everything fails, then send us (you may be in for some typing), the
results of:

ip link show

and

ifconfig