Question

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Sep 27 02:39:23 UTC 2016

Parker, David wrote:
> It is too bad that word processors such as Word and OpenOffice and
>  LibreOffice cannot actually format text based on their very own
> paragraph format.

Word processors are not desktop publishers. When David pastes text with
embedded formatting, it is entirely expected that the formatting is
pasted too, otherwise he'd have to make several edits (copy text from
source, paste text in LO, copy formatting from source (how?), paste
formatting in LO).

You gave the correct advice about removing formatting from pasted text.
But I wonder if embedded line breaks are considered formatting, or if
they're considered unformatted text.

> If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to
> invest in FrameMaker from Adobe.

TeX and LaTeX are the de facto text publishing tools for GNU/Linux.
They are powerful, and probably far more flexible than FrameMaker.
Certainly more extensible, since source code is provided for TeX and
LaTex.

And there are plenty of other Ubuntu packages that come up when I
searh for "desktop publishing":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=desktop+publishing&searchon=all&suite=all&section=all

or "typesetting":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&keywords=typesetting&searchon=all

There's no need for recommending proprietary software that runs only
on proprietary operating systems, especially on an Ubuntu mailing list.

And it's "Windows". Be polite.

- --Bob.

On 2016-09-26 10:00 PM, Parker, David wrote:
> There are formatting commands embedded in the test that you copy.
>
> To paste your copied text into OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer:
>
> click Edit click Paste Special click Unformatted text
>
> (The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-V )
>
> The text will be formatted with whatever paragraph format is
> associated with your insertion point.
>
> If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to
> invest in FrameMaker from Adobe. You will also have to set up a
> virtual machine to run Windoz inside Linux since FrameMaker only
> runs on Windoz and UNIX.  It is too bad that word processors such
> as Word and OpenOffice and LibreOffice cannot actually format text
> based on their very own paragraph format.  I don't even know why
> they even have pretend to support paragraph formats.  Tagging a
> paragraph simply does not work 99% of the time.
>

> On 2016-09-26 08:18 PM, David M Pelly wrote: Hello,
>

> Does anyone here know how to solve the following problem:
>
> When I want to copy and paste text from some writing app to my
> Libre office, in this lastest case, I am copying from createspace
> but  the same occurs from others in the past which I do not recall
> the names, the text pastes on libre text doc in a narrow broken up
> column on the left side.
>
> What causes it and how do I fix it?
>

> David
- --