unity dead

Doug Stewart doug.dastew at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 22:38:58 UTC 2016

I believe that my problem is with the driver of the graphics card.

when I use the nvidia binary driver - version 361.42  proprietary  then my
system shows the Top bar and the icons down the left side, and  all works.

When I use X.Org X server - Nouveau display driver from
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)   then no top bar and no icons
down the left side.

I have been using the second open source drivers all along until this last
upgrade, when this showed up.

How do I go back to a previous driver?

Doug