question again

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Mon Mar 23 18:14:37 UTC 2015

On 15-03-23 02:00 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:

> Also, I noticed that you extracted everything into /home/raymond/Downloads/etc.  I think that you may have misunderstood
> a step somewhere along the way.  It's still ok the way it is!  But just so you know, Downloads (aka ~/Downloads) is in
> your home folder /home/raymond/Downloads, but /etc is actually a system folder in the root of your system.  I think you
> may have stuck the two folders together in one command.  You're still ok!  You'll see lots of programs stick their
> configuration files in /etc.  No damage done here, but I always double-check the instructions whenever I see "/etc" or
> anything other than the home folder.  Just a security thing..

The local "etc" thing (as opposed to /etc) is probably OK and not a mistake.  We use openvpn to access internal servers
at work and I have never touched anything in /etc (or run as superuser) to get stuff to work.  Other than installing the
software (which requires sudo permissions since its a DEB) everything seems to magically work through NetworkManager for
me.  Now mind, I was given a pre-configured configuration file and blindly followed the instructions given by my IT
department and they know what they're doing, so your mileage may vary.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma