I'm stuck again

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Thu Mar 19 14:04:27 UTC 2015

On 15-03-19 09:26 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> This is what I have:  raymond at raymond-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ cd Downloads
> raymond at raymond-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~/Downloads$ tar xvzf installer_linux.tar.gz
> tar (child): installer_linux.tar.gz: Cannot read: Is a directory

Ah, there's the problem.  I'll just bet there's a file called installer_linux.tar.gz inside the directory named
installer_linux.tar.gz.

If you want to verify that, type "find ~/Downloads -name \*.tar.gz" and see what comes up.  If you see something like
/home/raymond/Downloads/installer_linux.tar.gz/installer_linux.tar.gz then you'll know you did something like type the
name of the file when prompted for a directory to save it in.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma